Friday, July 14, 2006

Ya gotta have friends.

Tonight, I thought I'd be tricky and alter the blogger code to include a counter.

I went and investigated counters, found one I like (even reflects my musical wonts) and 'installed' it.

Well, it was a DISASTER!

The code broke, and it all came out gobbledygook. This wasn't good. I ended up having to totally re-publish, including completely wiping the whole code and starting again.

After last week driving myself nuts getting my links up and running, I lost them, in addition to not having the counter working.

What to do?

Well, I needed the links code, I didn't want to have to rewrite it all. So, I called on my friend Ruby, coz I know she has my blog open all the time, and chances are she hadn't refreshed in a while. I was right, it was open, and unrefreshed, so a simple View>pagesource and voilois, the code was winging it's way in an email to me!

This made it easy to re-tamper with the code and replace the links. I took this opportunity to be brave (again with Ruby egging me on) and installed the ticker. So all's good.

I believe she's forbidden me from further tampering with the code. hehe.

I received the best email from her yesterday, I'll share it:


True Friendship

Are you tired of those sissy-ass "friendship" poems that always sound good, but never actually come close to reality? Well, here is a series of promises that actually speak of true friendship:

1. When you are sad -- I will help you get drunk and plot revenge against the sorry bastard who made you sad.

2. When you are blue -- I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.

3. When you smile -- I will know you finally got laid.

4. When you are scared -- I will rag on you about it every chance I get.

5. When you are worried -- I will tell you horrible stories about how much worse it could be until you quit whining.

6. When you are confused -- I will use little words.

7. When you are sick -- Stay the hell away from me until you are well again. I don't want whatever you have.

8. When you fall -- I will point and laugh at your clumsy ass.

9. This is my oath..... I pledge it to the end. "Why?" you may ask; "because you are my friend".

Send this to 10 of your closest friends, then get depressed because you can only think of 4.

Remember........A good friend will help you move.....a REALLY good friend will help you move a body.......let me know if you ever need me to bring a shovel.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.


Now, whilst this is the truest poem I've read in ages (I recall actually doing a couple of those with Ruby, esp #1, just after my divorce), I thought the last bit was funny.

The bit that says "you can only think of 4".

For about 10 years now, I've had 4 "best girl-friends", I call them the Fab 4. They haven't always been the same 4 people, either, but it seems to me when one 'leaves' a new one arrives.

Ruby has been one of them for um, around 7 years now. Fran's been there for over 10 years, I met Marg when our kids were in Kinder, so that'd be about 9 years ago now, and the 'newcomer' is Wendy, who I met when I moved to Brisbane about 4 years ago.

Seems 4 is the right number for me. It's not a considered decision, it just seems to happen that way.

Must say, I miss Ruby, Fran and Marg heaps, now we live in separate states. I miss Marg the most coz I talk to her least. It's not considered, it just seems to happen that way.

Must fix that.

HUZZAH TO THE FAB 4. Without you ALL I'd go nutser than I already am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home