Monday, June 26, 2006

challenge.

I've been wondering...

Just how much weight AM I carting around.

So, I thought, what weighs 85kg?

Well, my 12yo son weighs about 50kg. My 10yo daughter weighs about 45kg. So, I'm carting around nearly both of them. The really scary thing is that I have one heart (big though it is ;) ) and one set of internal organs etc, and this one person's organs is doing the work of 3 people's organs. Or two at least.

What else weighs 85kg?

A kitchen table. Well, OK, that probably weighs much less, but work with me here.

An average 6ft tall adult woman.

A bookshelf, plus a few books?

A dryer.

My TV weighs about 50kg. It's a bloody big telly. I'm carting nearly 2 of them around all day, every day.

It's no bloody wonder I need a nap at 3pm.

So, if you're one of those people who calls fat people lazy, I give you a challenge.

Find a clothes dryer. Pick it up. Carry it around. EVERYWHERE. Take it to the loo with you. When you sit on the couch, make sure it's on your knees so you have the FULL weight of it on your lap.

Better still, just take a short easy challenge.

Find a 12yo child. Just an average everyday one. They'll weigh around 50kg, which is somewhat less than the 85kg we're discussing, but it's OK, you're not as fit as I am...

Take the child, pick them up. OK, make it easy on yourself, piggyback style will do, don't hold ALL that weight on your arms. Now. Walk. Go down to the park. Go for a walk around the park. Walk for about an hour. WITH THE CHILD. Don't put the child down. EVER.

Now. Tell me. Are you still full of vim? Is there some lagging in your step? Do you understand a little better now? I think I do.

1 Comments:

At 6/27/2006 9:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moley, when you put it like that you get a whole new perspective!!! Gosh, what a way with words you have! You will be wonderful on your journey and I relaly look forward to 'walking' with you. ... Leanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home